Friday, May 9, 2008

Don't skip breakfast

I may have posted about the nutritional qualities about breakfast before but I just ran across an item in my daily Men's Health newsletter about the topic. The most important thing I took away from it is that the more regularly you eat breakfast, the less likely you will overeat during the day.

I find it amazing how people generally skip breakfast and wait until 10 or 11 to eat something for the first time. By that time, I'm guessing you are borderline starved and the odds of making poor choices in that condition are high.

Even if it's something as simple as toast and a glass of milk, breakfast is important. I don't typically eat a lot in the morning but I always eat something, whether it's as simple as tearing open a protein bar, popping two slices of bread in the toaster or having a fruit or two. I'm actually looking to expand my breakfast options and possibly incorporate a shake or something every now and then.

Another thing that was of interest in the newsletter was a link to this game, the Eat This, Not That game. If you don't regularly read the magazine, every month they compare two similar foods from two similar restaurants or eateries. For instance, the McDonald's Big Mac versus the Burger King Whopper. Sometimes, as they mention, it's basically a choice between the lesser of two evils. But it's a really good feature because it helped me eliminate the possibility that I will ever eat at Cinnabon again. Cinna-gut-bomb features 800 calorie cinnamon rolls! They probably taste okay but that is absolutely not worth the effort.

Anyway, here's the game.

No comments: