Saturday, June 7, 2008

Up early

I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep.

My wife actually had me set the alarm and I did, just in case I slept in. Turns out, that wasn't necessary at all. I rolled over at 4:26 wide awake.

I'm about an hour now from heading out to my first-ever 5K run, and as you can tell I'm a little nervous. I don't know what to expect. I have no idea what it will be like to participate in one since I've never participated in one. Two and a half years ago, I weighed well over 300 pounds and the only 5K I was doing was the 5Krispy Kreme run.

Now, this isn't the run that will bring all of my achievements and accomplishments together and put them to the test while moving me forward into a new era of my fitness. No, that will be the Camp Pendleton Mud Run in October. Today's run is more for participation and to get a feel of what it's like to compete and take part in an organized athletic event.

It's a relatively moderate run for me right now. If you look at the Run List on the right-hand side of this blog, I've kept tabs on my runs and I've run more than 3.1 miles exactly half of the time, 7 of the 14 runs I've done. So I have proven myself I can do it, but how fast can I do it in?

I'm a little nervous right now as I type and as the moment gets closer. I don't know what to expect. I suppose I'll hit this head on, go to the City Hall, check in and get my race stuff and head up to the starting line.

It should be a good experience. And for me the best part will be seeing my family at or near the finish line, with Yvie and Kennedy chanting "Go, Daddy, Go!" Those three are pretty much my motivation right now to finish the race fast, and they've been fueling me since the start of my quest for fitness many months ago.

No comments: