Friday, October 21, 2011

Meal-ing It In

I made it!

Well, I guess not quite yet... Friday has just begun, but if when I make dinner tonight, I will have cooked at home five out of five weeknights this week. This is a rarity.

Now, a bit of background... Mrs. LB commutes and has an actual sit-down-in-an-office job and I'm a freelance writer which means I work from home and handle the day-to-day household duties, most of them anyway. I got into cooking in 2007 (mostly by watching the Food Network!) and consider myself a not-too-shabby home cook. I love to bake too.

Anyway, I made it a goal this week to cook at home every night, made my meal plan on Monday and went grocery shopping. I had a lot of stuff already (thanks Costco) but some things I needed to get, mostly fresh produce (wilted celery in fridge wasn't gonna cut it).

It was kinda tough to be honest but it's nice to know that I made a plan for my meals for the week and followed through with it.

What did I make? Glad you asked...

Monday
BBQ Pork Sandwiches
Cole Slaw
Sweet Potato Fries

Tuesday
Tostadas (my own creation, Mexican-style: cover w/crema mexicana, sliced turkey meat, shredded cabbage, diced carrots, jalapenos, onions... gotta take picture next time).

Wednesday
"Unstuffed" Chicken Florentine
Onion Rice

Thursday
Pasta w/Bolognese sauce (my own creation, diced and cooked spicy sausage, diced bell peppers, onions, mushrooms; added Marinara sauce, served over penne pasta)

Friday
Kung Pao Chicken
White Rice

Well, at least that's what I have planned for today. I have time today to A) cook it and B) figure out something else if it don't work.

So we'll see if I follow through with the Asian food for tonight or if I go in another direction. Either way, it will be a home-cooked meal.

4 comments:

misszippy said...

I definitely think that planning and buying for that plan is the key to making it happen. My goal each week is to cook 6 nights/week with one night off for take-out or going out.

Whitney said...

Love it. I wish that I had a little more time to devote to cooking. But I'm pretty dang proud of myself for cooking dinner for the last three nights. Its the first time... in a very long time that it has happened.
P.S. Congrats to Yvie - that is so exciting for her!!

Michael said...

Dang I'm impressed. So what's on the menu next week?

The Jesse said...

Awesome! I love meal planning :)