Friday, April 8, 2011

All Set For Marathon No. 4

Wow, less than 20 hours to go before my next marathon. Crazy. It doesn't quite feel like I'm running a marathon tomorrow... but I am.

Anyway, before I ramble on, just wanted to say thanks for the comments on my last blog post. I wouldn't say that was hard to write but it definitely was an emotional post for me to write. In that sense, then, it was tougher than most post I write. I'd been thinking about that post for a while and what better way than to use it to springboard me into Marathon No. 4?

And now onto this post...

* Why doesn't it feel like I'm running a marathon? The three others I've done have involved an expo and an overnight stay somewhere. This one has no expo. Packet pick-up starts at 6:30 and the race starts at 8. The half marathon starts at 9. It seems like a more of a casual race that way, I guess all part of the small-race thing.

* This will be my first Saturday marathon... actually, my half marathons have all been on Sundays too, so my first long-distance Saturday race.

* The weather will cooperate: forecast calls for clouds and a high of 59. The hour-by-hour forecast on Accuweather calls for 44 degrees at 8 a.m., warming up to 56 by noon. Awesome!

* As far as following me along... uh.... no tracking of course. I mean, this ain't Surf City. I don't even know my bib number. I will post my time here (and FB and Twitter) when I'm done so the best I can tell you is to start checking around 12:30 Pacific time.

* What will I do for the finish line pose? Hmmm... haven't decided. I actually want to do something different, but not quite sure yet. If that plan falls through (and I'll let you know if it worked or not) then I'll have more than four hours to ponder how to pose at the end.

* I'm not sure I have a PR in me, but what I do have in me is the spirit and will to run. So many people can't run who would like to, and so many people - like my father - can't stand up or walk, let alone run. So I'm going to celebrate running tomorrow. I have the ability to run, the desire to run and the motivation to run. I'm a runner. I'm a marathoner. That's what I've become and that's what I'll live up to on Saturday.

8 comments:

Jen Feeny said...

That last bullet is the best of the bunch! Good luck tomorrow LB, not that you need it! You will rock it no matter what. I will be patiently waiting for that update....

misszippy said...

A great approach in so many ways. Perfect conditions! Excited for you...best of luck!!

Mark Baker said...

I'm sure you will do great tomorrow!

tahoegirl said...

High Five! Go get 'em.

thrasherswife said...

Can't wait to see the latest cross the finish pose!!! Way to go LB!!

Michael said...

Best of luck and Have FUN!! Sounds like perfect weather! Can't wait to hear about your experience!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Do it man! Stay focused when there's no one else around. You'll be great as always! Good luck!

Rose (Hacker Half Marathon) said...

Good Luck - I know you'll do great! I'm thoroughly impressed by your mental preparedness and now know what I must do for my first marathon.

Do great and I can't wait to hear the recap.