Saturday, April 2, 2011

Change Of Routine

I'm a creature of habit.

I get used to doing things a certain way, it's tough to break the habit.

My long run days is something I'm used to doing on Sundays. However, because my marathon is on a Saturday - next Saturday, officially one week away now - I'm doing my final long run on Saturday... well, later this morning. Yeah, I'm still up after midnight. Grrr...

Anyway, I'm not exactly looking forward to this run and I've been feeling like that all day but just pinpointed the reason now - because it's out of my routine. It's breaking up my routine and I dont't do well with that. I suppose the one thing that I have going for me is that I can sleep in on Sunday (!) and we can go out for breakfast (!!). So I'll just have to get through this run and then I can relax on Sunday.

And because I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm going to run about a 4-mile loop around my house - well, just down to the end of one street and back, which is roughly 3.8 miles or so - and I think I'll do that twice, and then get to 10 afterward. Why the extra anguish? Why not just run out and back for five miles? Well, because next weekend my marathon will be like that, a lot of mental anguish. The course will be lonely, there won't be many other runners so mentally I might feel pretty rough. So why not try and challenge myself mentally?

As usual, if I can make it out the door I'll be fine.

2 comments:

Jim ... 50after40 said...

I can relate - my last long run before my next marathon is this weekend. I always hate those because I just wanna get to the marathon already - I think simulating the conditions for your race next weekend is a great idea. I know it's gonna be lonely with only 50 people, but I'm sure you're prepare and will do well!

Willoughby said...

Sounds like a plan! Good luck!