Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hilly Run, Streak Lives



It's a streak now, a bone fide streak.

Ten days of running and counting. I made it to 10 on Thursday after knocking out 8.15 miles in 1:22:39. It was quite warm during my run but that wasn't the toughest part of the run.

Check out the elevation:

This is a run I've been wanting to do for a while but haven't been able to. Just wasn't trained properly enough to do it.

As you can see it's quite hilly. I started at my house and ran straight up a street that takes us over a hill and into a neighboring county. Over the hill, I usually turn around and come back but that would have only gotten me six so I ran a little more on the other side of the hill and then came back. So that's the same peak that I ran over and back.

The crazy part (since this is the first I've ran this with my micoach app, all of these stats are new to me):

at .75 mile the elevation was 942 ft.
at 2.1 miles the elevation was 1289 ft.

That's a gain of 347 feet in 1.35 miles. It took me a little more than 14 minutes to run that stretch. Now, that's the tough part, right? Well, on the way back you drop that much, 347 feet down, in 1.35 miles, so you can go pretty fast for that stretch.

Crazy stat from the way back.

Mile 5.25 - 1060 ft
Mile 5.94 - 1289 ft

That's an elevation gain of 229 feet in less than three-quarters of a mile.

Now, this hill I ran a lot when I was training for San Francisco. This and the one I ran last week were the two hills I used to train for the hills of San Fran. It worked obviously since I ran that in 4:37:51, besting my then-PR by about five minutes.

So the streak continues and it lives on after a tough run. Wouldn't have it any other way.

4 comments:

Coy Martinez said...

My IT BAND is cussing that chart. I LOVE hills, it does not. Glad you're back in full swing pace leader!

Lauren said...

That's incredible! I wish we had hills around here like that to train on! Wowwwwzer!

Rose (Hacker Half Marathon) said...

Congrats! I love fun running stories like these :) So inspirational!

Jill said...

YAY, love that you are not letting that hill win!!