I hadn't planned on writing a blog post today. I mean, I didn't run on Tuesday and it will be tough to fit in a run today. But I have time to blog right now and figured I'd take advantage of it this way.
What to write about.... Oh, I know. Recently there was a thing going around blogs where bloggers revealed seven random facts about themselves. I'll go ahead and do that now. I'll reveal some things about myself and hope that doesn't chase you away from this blog :)
1. Hatin' On The White: I don't know what it is but there are a lot of "white" things I don't like. I'm talkin' food here, people :) Anyway, in no particular order, some things that I just don't really care for at all - Alfredo sauce, cream cheese, ranch dressing, mayonnaise, sour cream... and I'm sure I missed another thing or three.
I don't know what it is that makes me not like those things. Alfredo sauce is the best way to ruin pasta for me. I can't have any sort of creamy sauce in my pasta. It has to be tomato-based or like an oil-based thing or otherwise, forget it. I do like cheesecake and a few other things with cream cheese in it but I put butter on my bagels, not the Philly spread. I guess aside from my wife I just don't do white ;)
2. That One Guy...: I'm horrible with names in movies. Like, if I'm watching a movie I can't pick up on characters' names. It makes it really confusing when in the middle of the movie they start to refer to other characters who are off-screen by their first names. I can't keep things straight sometimes that way and it bugs me because I can easily get lost. I always have to lean over to my wife and ask "Are they talking about Leonardo DiCaprio's character?" or some crap like that.
3. Permanent Siesta: If I didn't care about my family and my wife's family as much as I do, I would seriously try and move Mrs. LB and the girls down to some tiny Caribbean beach town. I'm not even joking. I've been to the Caribbean once, to Trinidad & Tobago, in 2001 for three weeks and it was really awesome. I only went to the beach once while there but it was something else. I picture life there or in Jamaica or St. Kitts or the Virgin Islands or wherever to be stress-free. Who cares about the world when my own world is paradise. I know it wouldn't be like that every day but I'd like to find that out for myself.
4. Travels: So the countries I've visited, in order of the most time I've spent in each foreign land, are: Mexico, Japan, Trinidad & Tobago, Germany, Costa Rica, Canada, France. The next new foreign country I'll visit will be.... dunno. I'm putting my money on Honduras. See, I write about soccer for a living and there's a lot of soccer in Honduras and soccer has taken me to Japan, Trinidad and Costa Rica (and Mexico a couple of times) so I'm guessing Honduras is next. Just a guess.
5. Domestic Travels: So the states I've visited, in no particular order... okay, maybe geographically from West to East... : California (duh), Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois. I had a three-hour layover at the Miami airport once but I can't count that as having visited Florida. Boo.
6. Tentative: I'd like to teach. Wow. That's actually progress from my stance on the profession. I was a teacher once, for six months back in 2003-04. Professionally, it was the most horrible six-month stretch of my life. It was a disaster and ruined my hopes of becoming an effective teacher. I think I'm a bit removed from that time though and now I might be ready to consider teaching again. The situation was tough for me - inner-city kids, a community I was unfamiliar with, a long commute. I think if it was closer to home, it could be different. But it might not be. And it's not the best time to try and become a teacher here in SoCal. For now, I'll just stick to writing for a living and volunteering in the girls' classes. I might get back into substitute teaching here soon. That alone might make me *not* want to teach.
7. Tatted-Up: I have two tattoos, on my left calf and on my back. I want to get some Japanese Kandji on my forearms but Mrs. LB has protested that thought. I'm trying to get her on my side for those. I'd also like to get my daughters' names tattooed on me but not sure where. And I'd like to get a tattoo on my right calf to reflect my marathons and my running, something with a 26.2 and... well, a buddy of mine sort of designed something, with a 26.2 surrounded by flames, bursting through a finish-line tape and I'd put a small star on the tape for each marathon I've run. Does that make sense? That sounds pretty awesome but I have to see if he has that design handy and then we can work on it or something. That may very well be my next tattoo.
Okay, there you go. Seven random things from me. Hope it doesn't scare you away :)