Monday, May 5, 2008

Low, Low, Low and High

I didn't have a horrible day of nutrition on Sunday but it wasn't the best either. Still, it was a one-off day and it won't hurt in the end.

It actually reminded me of how I used to conduct business. When I first got on my meal plan back when I was 300-plus, my trainer wasn't strict as far as the specific meals to eat or the types of foods I should eat. But he was strict about the amount of calories I should eat. He had me consume 1700 calories for three days, then go up to 2800 for one day. After that "power-up" day, I'd go back to 1700 for three days, "power-up" for one day and then repeat the process.

Believe it or not, it was hard sometimes to get up to 2800 calories. Sometimes it seemed counterproductive or that it wouldn't work. But I put my faith in my trainer.

I don't know why and I don't know how but it worked. My trainer did say that including such a "power-up" day would help drive my metabolism and kick start it. I followed that pattern until I got under 220 pounds. After that I stuck to 1800 calories per day.

No comments: