Friday, May 23, 2008

Stretching my legs

Recently, my activity in working out has been as much as my activity here - which is to say not much.



I've got to get back in the swing of things though and I will. Lately, though, I've not felt like running when I get out of bed in the mornings. Not at all.



But I'm going to sign up for the Fontana Days 5k Run. I've been looking for a 5K run to compete in and this one is perfect. It's very close to my house and it's not too far away.



I'm actually looking forward to it. It's not that I don't think I can finish. Unlike the Mud Run, I do think that I can run this without completely collapsing at the end. It's not so much a physical challenge as it is a first. I've never run in a 5k race. Hell, I've never run in a race, unless the Mrs. Needles' fifth-grade class relay race counts. It'll be a competition. I don't expect to win or finish near the top but I do want to compete against others and try and score a good finish. Plus it will be nice to have Tiffany and the girls waiting and cheering for me at the finish line.



And heck, it would make a good story for The San Bernardino Sun. "Slimming Race: Man loses 100-plus, competes in 5k race for first time."



My tentative plan is to run on Saturday and Sunday and Monday. That might be too ambitious but I need to kickstart my training again, and that would be a good way to do it.

ADD: Okay, it's official. I just signed up for the Fontana Days 5K run. It's scheduled for June 7 so I've got some time to get ready for it.

No comments: