Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Weigh-less Wednesday: Scaring Away The Desire

Sometimes, it's good to be scared.

That's what runs through my head when I see worst-of lists. The worst breakfast food, the worst restaurant, the worst anything just seems like a good thing to avoid.

But then there are burgers. Who doesn't like a tasty burger every now and then?

Now, I don't mind indulging every now and then. It's better to eat something like that once in a while then to deny yourself until you get to a point where you just lose all your willpower and scarf them down simply because you have been keeping this from yourself. We're human. It happens.

But if you're going to down a burger, best to avoid one of these. You'll have to click the link to see the full list but here's the info provided with each burger.

Number 3 on the list is the Worst Fast Food Cheeseburger, and that dishonor goes to the Burger King Triple Whopper Sandwich with Cheese and Mayo.

1,250 calories
84 g fat (32 g saturated, 3.5 g trans)
1,600 mg sodium

With one of these, I'd get more than half of the calories I try to consume each day and look at all those fat grams.

With each burger, there is an alternative, and in this case it's Burger King's Tendergrill Chicken Sandwich with mayo

490 calories
21 g fat (4 g saturated, 0 g trans)
1,220 mg sodium

Much more reasonable, though the amount of sodium is still high.

Some things that jumped out at me:

* Don't be fooled by chicken and turkey; just because it has poultry doesn't mean it's healthy
* Don't be fooled by reputation either; I was surprised to see In n Out on the list, to be honest.
* Just because something is small doesn't mean it's better.

6 comments:

Book Worm Runs said...

Oh, wow! I don't think I will be having a burger anytime soon! You always know they are high in calories and fat but you don't know just how bad it is until it is laid out in front of you like that...not to mention the sodium content! Yikes!

Willoughby said...

Wow, that is high! Honestly, I prefer burgers made at home anyway. The last time I had a burger from McDonalds it tasted like rust (not that I've ever eaten rust). What could possibly make a burger taste that way? I'm sure I don't want to know.

Tales from the Back of the Pack said...

I haven't eaten a burger in I don't know how long, but if I were I wouldn't waste the calories at BK or McD's. 1250 calories? YIKES!

Give me some In n Out, Apple Pan, Tommy's Orignial.

Lara said...

Ugh. I think I'm going to be sick! I don't think I'll ever have another fast-food burger again. (and that's probably a good thing, honestly...)

Jill said...

I'm always surprised that Burger King is in existence, yuck. Except for the fact that there's one near the school I teach and therefore half the kids go there at lunch.

tahoegirl said...

You know In n Out was the first place we stopped at in CA these past two trips this year. Yum! Totally worth it, once in a while.