Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Whole Lotta Zero

I threw in a zero this week. Zero miles run.

That's simultaneously incredibly depressing and not bothersome at all. Wait... is that even possible?

On the one hand, I didn't stress about not running so when I wasn't able to squeeze in a run, well, I wasn't surprised so therefore not bothersome.

At the same time, no running means no exercise, no endorphin high, no time to tune out and think about whatever runs through my mind when I run.

I will make it a point to run this week, though, which helps take the sting off what could be a sad situation.

Since this is the last week of summer vacation for the girls, we will make a point of it to transition back into school smoothly. That means a 6:30 wake-up call for them every day, including Monday. So we'll wake up early, get dressed and go to the track. I will get in at least four miles on Monday morning and will start off the week with four miles. That's a good start to any week.

My plan will be to run 10 miles next Sunday. That's when we have our pace leader meeting (!) so I have to run that day and I figure why not run 10? Actually I'd like to run 12 or something but I think getting to double digits will be good.

On Aug. 14 is the first day of Lopers so I will be excited to get out there and start the season. So that's my target, to start the season off with a couple of solid weeks of runs under my belt. And when the season does start, the girls will be back in school and I'll have more time to run.

See, even with a zero week, it ain't too bad.

4 comments:

Kerrie said...

Good job not freaking about the zero. :)

Lauren said...

Hey it happens, and the recovery will make you stronger. Can't wait to read about your pace-leading activities!

Rose (Hacker Half Marathon) said...

That's awesome you can take some time off and not stress about it. It sounds like you've enjoyed the extra time with your girls and no doubt they're going to reminisce on these memories when they're older like my sisters and I do (not daddy leaving to go out for a run).

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Hahaha ... "simultaneously incredibly depressing and not bothersome at all" That might be my new catch phrase! I love it! Recovery = strength in the long run.