Monday, October 20, 2008

Tentative plan

So I've got a plan. Yes, I know that might seem scary but this one involves workouts. And I'm usually pretty good with planning my workouts.

I'm going to rest today.

That's the big part of my plan. Rest up and recover. My muscles are still achy from the Mud Run so I'm going to let them recover another day before calling them back in for some heavy work. I feel it the most on my hamstrings and my quadriceps. Those hills left their mark on me, apparently. So instead of risking severe discomfort or, at the very worst, injury I'm going to rest.

But I can't rest too long. I'm going to run in a regular 10K in less than three weeks now so I have to get back to it.

That's been the best part of the last six or seven months. I've had something to train for. Every time I went to the gym, I had a long-term goal to strive for. Most every workout was, in one form or the other, constructed towards achieving that long-term goal.

Now, I have another goal to reach - the Mission Inn Run. In many ways, it will be a continuation of my Mud Run training. This 10K won't involve hills or mud or water - unless it rains - so I only need to concentrate on my cardio. At this point, it's where I need it to be for the 10K so I just need to maintain my training levels and perhaps add some sort of speed element to it, so I can try and finish the race in a good time.

So my three-week plan will be simple: lots of cardio, including interval runs and runs for distance, as well as some bike work. On Tuesday I'll hit the gym for some bike work, probably won't run much if at all. I may do some running on Wednesday and see how I feel. Might rest Thursday and then go for a longer run on Friday. We'll see where I am come the weekend and see what, if anything, I can do on Saturday and Sunday. So this week will essentially be a recovery week.

Next week, I'll hit it hard once more and then the following week will lead up to the 10K, so I imagine more hitting-it-hard early in the week followed by a day or two of rest before the event.

It's good to have a plan. Especially when the first component is rest.

No comments: