Wednesday, August 4, 2010

High Above

After the San Francisco Marathon, I went home and went right back into reality. I had a boatload of work waiting for me, and two vibrant, energetic girls to tend to. Needless to say, my running time was limited.

Now, since I had just run a marathon, I wasn't quite feeling upset about my lack of running time. But of course I got antsy and was itching for a run by the weekend, and then of course I never got one in.

My first post-SF marathon run was not until Tuesday, a full nine days after the marathon. That's okay, though, since I had said I wanted to rest after the marathon. Rest time is over. I jumped back into the fray with a six-miler on Tuesday.

It wasn't just any ordinary six-mile run, though. See, I'm in Arizona right now and won't be home until later in the week. I got up at 4:40 on Tuesday morning and by 5 a.m. I was outside and doing what I love to do.

Remember a year ago, when I wrote about my run to the dam? Well, I decided to go for it again, as we're vacationing in the same town. I set out to run the three miles it takes to get from our hotel to the dam, which could give me a full six miles as well as a great start to the day.

When I started, the sun had not quite come out. It was already in the 70s or 80s, it felt rather warm, but by the time I got to the dam, the sun was out.

I ran over a bridge that goes over the Colorado River.

The view was superb, although at times when I looked down towards the river and the massively steep drop, I felt a little fear.

On the other side of the bridge was the Glen Canyon Dam, and beyond that Lake Powell.

And what did the bridge that I ran over look like?

You can't even see the bottom there, can you?


Manderz said...

What a beautiful place to run!!

Katie A. said...

SO jealous of your beautiful, godawful hour, run! But I have to admit, my palms got a little sweaty looking at those pics! Enjoy the rest of your vacay!

Kerrie T. said...

Wow. What an amazing run that must've been. Man. I can't wait to run again.