Monday, August 9, 2010

Motivational Mondays (Aug 9)

Today's not the end of the year nor the start of a new one, at least not on the calendar, but it does make me look ahead at the next 365 days.

It's my birthday today. Yay me. I'm turning 35 today (yikes) and will spend the day relaxing... for a little bit, since I do have to work and all.

But I also am looking a little ahead to the next year. While I am now officially halfway to 40 (whoa), I am not exactly feeling depressed. I know once you hit 30, you long to be in your 20s but when I was in my mid- to late-20s I weighed 300 pounds, so no thanks to being 27 again.

Physically I am in my prime, and I will strive to continue topping myself again and again. That doesn't mean PRs or anything like that, but rather to just enhance my running and fitness continually. A year ago, for instance, I'd run one half-marathon and a handful of other races. Two years ago, I'd run one 5K ever. When I turned 32, I weighed probably in the 220s. As I turn 35, I can now count two marathons among the races I've completed. When I turn 36, I hope to have run three full marathons between birthdays.

Age doesn't have to be demoralizing. For me, it's invigorating. I'm not as young as I used be (obviously, none of us are) but I feel much better now than I ever have.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

I ran along side a woman at SF who had a shirt on that said "I'm 83 and running a half marathon". She looked GOOD for 83, I would have said she was more likely in her 50's. That's where I want to be when I'm at the end of my life, still living like I'm just beginning :) HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

thrasherswife said...

Happy Birthday LB!!! Wishing you a wonderful day!!

Whitney said...

Happy Birthday, LB!!

Mark Baker said...

I turned 35 in March, and I could have written most of this post. I feel I'm in the best shape of my life, running wise. Kinda scary when you think about it. I really need to get more upper body stuff in.

Kathrin said...

All the best for your birthday and a brand new year of running adventures!

tahoegirl said...

have a great birthday!

Willoughby said...

Happy Birthday, buddy! Sorry it's a day late. I hope you had a great day!

My 30's were okay, but I was none too happy about turning 40 a few years ago. I'm still wishing to go back to my 20's.

Unknown said...

Very nice motivation...I like your post, it is nice.

zbsports