Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Anatomy Of My Six-Mile Run

**The last two days I've set out for four-mile runs. Each turned into six-mile runs. Here's a bit of insight into why Tuesday's run went longer than intended.**


It's 4:45. Stupid alarm. Ugh. I think I'm just going to lay here. I don't have to get up, do I? Ah well, my wife's up, getting ready for work. No sense in lying here. I'm getting up already.

(After Mrs. LB departs for work at 5:30, I have about an hour to fight off sleep work until the girls get up.)

Good morning girls! What do you guys want for breakfast? How about some cereal? Okay, it's almost 7 so you have to hurry up and start getting dressed.

Alright, let's go brush teeth and brush hair. Let's see... ponytails for you both! Ah well, we don't have a lot of time. We'll do braids another day.

(I drop off the girls at school at around 7:40, go back home and then...)

Garmin's on. Phone's set to a playlist. Stretch. Four miles. Let's do this.

Damn. I hate the first mile. Why does it take me a mile to get into my runs? I'm going slow, but whatever. I'm not trying to run fast. I just need to get my miles in.

Oh, a 10:06 first mile. Hmmm... well, this is a comfortable pace, probably slower than my normal comfortable pace, probably not. Who knows? I wonder if I can run like this for 10 miles, 12 miles, 18 miles or so consistently. Then I could be a pace leader. I probably need a lot more practice though, and actually try and run my runs at this pace.

Damn uphill. It don't even look like that much of an uphill but 10:26 second mile... that's a mix of an uphill run and my comfortable early pace.

Alright, you're at two miles, let's turn around and head back the way we came. I think I should run down to the light though. That will get me to three and a half... but then I'd be close to like five or so... well, let's just head out there anyway.

Oooh, I'm liking this downhill. I'm probably not at a 10-minute pace anymore. Screw it, I'm not going to slow down. Work on your form. Straighten out your back. Keep your legs moving.

Look at that! 9:09 for the third mile! This isn't too fast, is it? No. But you're only going four? No, not anymore. Screw it. I'm running to the light. Which way should I take to get home? If I go back the way I came, I could get up to six miles. Do I want to go for six?

Let's just go in that direction.

Dang, look at that, 8:41 for that last mile. Love it when I can get under nine.

Alright, don't try and run all out. No need for that. But if you can get six, then all you have to do is get to 12 or 14 by Friday, so that's like six and four or four and six or whatever. You gonna run Saturday? Don't know if I should... maybe I'll take two days off, run tomorrow (Wednesday) and Thursday and then run Sunday again.

Woo hoo! Check it out, an 8:32 fifth mile! Okay, let's run past home. No reason to not get six at this point. Just go up the street, come back, go around the side street and go the back way home. That should get you to six.

Hmmm... don't think this last mile will be under nine minutes. Whatever. I feel good though, still feel good. Should I go for seven?

Nah, just cruise it home. Almost to six so you should be a little past six by the time you get home.

Okay, let's see that sixth mile... crap! 8:51! Six miles done, and the last three at under nine minutes. Okay, well, I guess I was feeling good after all.


* Some of the "screw it"s were actually a bit more colorful words but they've been edited out because I'm family-friendly that way :)

* This is actually common, I do talk to myself a lot like this during my runs. It might mean that I'm crazy but I guess I need the constant stimulation to keep my mind going

No comments: