Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Slowing Down

It's tough to run five days a week.

That's what I've figured out over the last three weeks or so. I've been hitting it hard and have run about five times each week I believe. Last week was the first time in a month that I haven't run five times each week, and that was because of a Sunday obligation I couldn't get out of.

This week, it has felt like the walls around me are collapsing with regards to work. It's a busy week and I'm nowhere near done with one of the things I have to get done. So I had to scrap my Wednesday run.

I've been doing well to getting to the 30-mile mark each week, my target for weekly miles, but it seems that when I concentrate on running and do well there, I suffer elsewhere.

There just aren't enough hours in the day.

So I'm going to try to run 3-4 times a week and will hopefully get to 30 miles a week.

Wow, that sounds confident.

Anyway, I hope to have longer runs so I can still accumulate the mileage. On Tuesday I ran 7 and Thursday I hope to knock out another 5-6. Sunday the Lopers will run 9 and I'll try to get in 3 miles before then. If I can do that, I'll have 25 or so, and that would mean a Friday or Saturday run of about 4-5 miles would get me to 30. That run is optional I think. I don't know, maybe it shouldn't be.

Even though I have all this time in the mornings now, it feels as if I have a cart and need to pile as much on there as possible but when I make room for running, work suffers, or when I make room for grocery shopping or cooking (you know that necessary but boring around-the-house stuff) then everything else suffers.

This is all part of my F.O.S Evolution - Figuring Sh** Out. It's a fine balancing act now but hopefully soon it won't be so bad.

3 comments:

Kerrie said...

You know I've been there. Actually, still there. Will always be there. I don't believe in set running schedules anymore. They must evolve to fit life at any given moment. Even with my tiny 1.5-milers, I'm still having to "fit" them in. Once T Junior goes to college, I figure I can run as much and whenever I want. LOL!

Q said...

The 5 runs a week thing is difficult to fit in I find too. Especially when the mileage per run incraeses because it takes that much longer.

I agree with Kerrie, they need to be flexible.

thrasherswife said...

Wow, reading your post reminded me of the days i use to get 30 miles in over a 4 day period... I just ran 1.5 the other day and thought I was going to die.... I was sooooo sore for two days afterwards. Thats how long its been since i've ran - infact, I have not done any exercise in the last three weeks... need to work it back into my new routine... Keep up the great work!