Monday, September 6, 2010

Motivational Mondays (Sept. 6)

Today my motivation is rest.

Of course, today is one of the biggest rest days of the year, being Labor Day and all. But for me, even though I can't really take the day off from working, I can and will take the day off from running.

I ran 11 miles on Sunday and 34 for the week. All day Sunday, though, I felt wasted. Fatigued. Exhausted. Like, the kind of tired where the muscles feel it and are begging to rest.

I don't want to overreact (like I've been known to do) but this might be because of my long weeks of running. In the past I've not usually run five days a week. I've made do with three- or four-day run weeks before. I've still been able to get my miles in that way, but still had four or three days of rest.

So I'm wondering if I felt the way I felt because I'm running too many days. I mean, 11 miles is a longer run but it's not a distance that's going to floor me for a day.

I'm going to keep playing Sunday over in my head. Maybe I didn't do what I needed to do to recover properly. Maybe it was the previous night's sleep, or the run itself...

Regardless, there will be no Labor Day fun run for me. Rest, recover and prepare for another week of running. I'm anxious to crack 30 miles for the third consecutive week but now will have to have two plans: a four-day run week and a five-day run week.

We'll see what my schedule - and body - allow for.

1 comment:

Katie A. said...

Hmmm...I'm not too sure if it was the amount of days you ran or just the run itself.

You can run that far obviously, and all the runs you did during the week weren't too taxing. I think it was just the run - maybe your nutrition or hydration was off? I think running 5 days a week is a good thing - it keeps you mentally prepared and if you run smart it won't tax your body too bad after you get used to it.

Chalk it up to just that run and I'm glad you recovered Monday. And I also know you had a great run today! So keep it up LB! You're on your way to a great Fall racing season ;)