Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Afternoon run

It wasn't the best run, but I went to the gym Tuesday afternoon as planned.

The biggest difference, I quickly noted, was in my mental makeup. First, there was no way I would have been able to run 10 miles with the way my mind was racing. I wanted just to finish the run and I kept looking at the mileage on the treadmill and the clock in hopes of finishing early.

Now, I was only supposed to run two miles but I wound up running three. I figured the extra mile would do me some good. I ran the first mile at a 6.0, then a 6.8. Mile 2 I ran it at a speed of 7.3, and my heart rate reflected it. For the entire mile, my heart rate rose steadily from the low 170s to the mid 170s. I wasn't worried necessarily but just taken aback by how quickly it rose. Needless to say, if I want to run more than six miles or so, running that fast that early would not be wise.

By the time I was finished with my three miles, I felt more in a groove and more relaxed than I had when I first started. I could easily have kept going but I have to stick with my schedule. That is a good thing when you've got a 2-3 mile run, but not so good when you have a 12-mile monster facing you, which is my upcoming Saturday challenge.

Still, it's runs like Tuesday's that will help me defeat the beast.

No comments: