Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Turning it up a notch

Lately, I've been running a lot of miles on the weekend, but the midweek miles have been consistently low. I've had runs of two and three miles to take up my time midweek, plus interval runs which are a bit longer.

Today, for instance, I have a four-mile run scheduled. Tomorrow is a regular interval run I've been doing but on Thursday and Friday I'll also have four-mile runs on the docket. Saturday is a rest day and Sunday is another 10-mile run.

I believe this is meant to get more weekly mileage in, probably in order to get through the longer runs better. With more mileage under my belt during the week, it might be easier to get through a longer run. I think the most important thing, though, is to get the runs in. I've skipped at least one run each week since I started my training for various reasons; soccer, children (you know, those pesky needy children :) ), work, health. I've done well to get my long runs in but sometimes life intervenes in the middle of the week.

Still, I think this week I will have the opportunity to get in my three four-mile runs, plus the interval run on Wednesday, plus the 10-mile run on Sunday.

And while Saturday's run was the longest run, this week may be the most mileage I've put in during any given week before. So there's another small achievement that I can count on.

No comments: