Monday, May 17, 2010

Motivational Mondays (May 17)

Before I get started, I just want to say that this will make a whole lot more sense if you read Sunday's post, so scroll down or click here.

I'll wait.

Now, onto the post...

Sunday's run was both encouraging and disappointing. Right after my run, though, I felt mostly disappointment, hardly encouraged. Mrs. LB was shocked to see my shirt, even though it's not the first time I've bled, although I don't recall bleeding that much before. I should have been encouraged by how I felt after the run, at having finished 18 miles strong, just as strong as I'd finished my 15-miler the week before.

But those red stains didn't let me feel that. I focused on them and shut all other thoughts out for a bit. Of course, I didn't like feeling that way. I wanted to revel in my long run, to think about the positives, to feel as if the run was an accomplishment. Instead, I felt discouraged. Embarrassed. Foolish.

Why?

I thought about it for a while, and what I realized was that I felt that way because I was unprepared. I don't know that I respected the distance, the run, what I was about to set off on. Even though I did well to get GU, to leave the house with plenty of Gatorade, with a charged Garmin, hat, sunglasses... that I left my nipples unprotected was just inexcusable for me. I know not all other male runners suffer from that, but I do. And I learned how to handle that a while back.

And yet here I was, with what was essentially the first long training run ahead of San Francisco, and I totally dropped the ball. I was unprepared, and the blood stains are just tangible proof of that unpreparedness.

While the pain was not entirely unbearable on Sunday, I'm not sure what it would have been like in another five, six, seven or eight miles. Would I have been able to run an entire marathon like that? Who knows.

But what I am taking from this experience is this: I need to respect the run. I don't think I'm some superstar runner, so don't get me wrong here, but I sort of acted like I didn't need to take everything seriously. Like all the rules didn't apply to me.


Tape the nipples? We don't need no stinkin' tape.

I've tackled a marathon yet again and before I know it, I'll be standing at the start line of San Fran, and if I slack on anything I'm not going to have a good experience. I need to get all my long runs in. I need to do my midweek runs. Do speedwork. Run hills. Eat properly. Stretch.

At least now I know what could happen if I slack on something. Next time, the price might be higher than just a bloody shirt, and I really don't want to find out what exactly that would be.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Don't be too hard on yourself! So you made a misjudgment, now you know :) Better to learn it now than in the marathon like you said. Take this as a lucky break, showing you what COULD happen if you don't prepare properly for the marathon. Now that you've seen the 'ugly' truth you can make it a pretty day :D.

You're going to do so great in San Fran, I can't wait to read your race report. And I still say pack some tape in your fuel belt JUST IN CASE you forget them again!

Angie Eats Peace said...

Yoy know I have made this similar mistake before, not respecting the miles and thinking you can just show up, and do it.
It's always better to learn these things on training runs, and not race day. You are going to do great, in SF!

Katie A. said...

Funny, not to make less of your experience or your feelings, but I can't believe you feel disappointed. Yes, 18 miles needs to be respected, but forgetting to tape your nipples is hardly something that should ruin the feeling of accomplishment that comes from running a solid 18 miles. Another funny thing I got while reading your report...why didn't you just take your shirt off? I would think that would cause less of a stir than that horrid looking mess on your shirt. But that's just me, and I run with just my sports bra all the time. And no, I don't have abs of steal, I have an ugly scar, too! But I do it any way because I don't give a damn what others think.
You need to wipe this off your mind, focus on the awesomeness that comes from running a solid 18 miles. You are doing great. I have been running for almost 5 years and I make rookie running mistakes all the time. Girls get bad chaffing, even the skinny ones, between their thighs. I am no exception. But at least once a week I head out for a run with out Body Glide and remember at mile 3 when my legs are burning. "Rookie" mistakes are going to happen. Preparing for an 18 mile run requires a lot. You’re human, stuff happens and gets forgotten.
Now, that was a long pep talk. So, embrace your awesome 18 miler from Sunday and look forward! You're doing great and you're going to rock SF!!

Whitney said...

It's funny (but not really) how you worry so much about having everything ready for the big run and you prepare and tell yourself not to forget things... and then you forget one thing and it ruins the whole experience.

I guess that's why they call them "practice" runs. And NOW - you will never, EVER forget to tape again!