Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Half Marathon Soon

Pretty soon, I'm going to run my fourth race of 2011 and my first half-marathon since November.The Fontana Days Half Marathon is right around the corner, on June 4 to be precise, and I've got my sights set on it.

Does that mean I'm going to PR? I don't know. My half PR is 1:55:03 and I don't know if I have that kind of time in me right now. I've been doing well to get in some speedwork and my legs have been responding but it just seems like a really fast time and I'm not sure if I will be able to keep up. I suppose it's because I haven't had a whole lot of time to train for this race so I don't feel like I've got the miles on my legs necessary to push myself for 13.1 miles.

Still, I do want to get as close to 1:55 as possible. I definitely want to get under two hours and I think that's possible.

While my legs might not be quite as strong as they were before the Long Beach 2010 Half Marathon, when I set my current PR, I have something else on my side.



This is the elevation chart for Fontana (image borrowed from my blog buddy Lisa at Discovering the Meaning on Stonehenge - a Runner's Journey).

Yeah, that would be all downhill. It's not just a slight decline either as it looks like a straight downhill shot. Now, Lisa ran this race last year and said parts of it did not feel as if they were downhill, but still I know that at worst it will feel flat and I won't have any hills to deal with.

I enjoy half marathons. They're not the monster that a full marathon is but it's still a challenging distance. If I take this distance too lightly, it will destroy me, so I'm doing my best to respect the distance, get my miles in, get some speedwork in, get some good solid training in.

I may not go for a PR but I will go for a strong finish. That much I know is within reach.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Looks like my kind of run... you don't even have to think about your pace, you just go and gravity does the rest. :)