Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Halloween Time, At Least Calendar Says It Is

It's nearly October, which around here means two things.

1. Birthdays. Both Yvie and Kennedy celebrate their birthdays in October.

2. Halloween. The girls enjoy Halloween and we've already ordered their costumes.

While it feels very much like birthday season around here, it does not seem much like Halloween. After all, you tend to associate Halloween with chilly weather. Maybe not freezing cold temperatures but definitely more cold than warm.

Instead of that, though, we've dealt with 90- and 100-degree weather for pretty much all of September... well, the entire summer it seems like it but in particular this last month has really dragged in terms of hot weather.

So, in that sense it feels more like we're getting ready for the 4th of July than Halloween.

But it's Halloween Time after all, and to commemorate that Kennedy and I went to Disneyland on Monday. Well, we went because we had the chance to go but it just so happened that the Disneyland kicked off their Halloween Time celebration on Friday, so the park is all done up with Halloween-type themes.

Now, I will post some of those pictures but not today. For two reasons: 1) We're going again on Thursday (Yvie's birthday) so I want to take pictures of other things such as the Haunted Mansion since Kennedy and I didn't get over there; and 2) I never posted pictures from last Halloween, neither here nor anywhere else really so I figured I'd get those out first and then post the pictures from 2009 Halloween Time later in the week or next week.

Kennedy dressed as Cinderella.

She still has that dress, and it still kinda fits her. It actually fit her pretty big last year. She's eating a cookie we decorated. It was a bat cookie and we got some frosting and other candies to place on top, like candy eyeballs and a candy mouth.

Kennedy playing Texas Hold 'em with her friend Linda and a couple of Jacks.

Yvie (dressed as Rosetta, Tinkerbell's friend) posing with another pumpkinhead.

Now, these pictures were taken over in the petting zoo area. It's kind of out of the way; it's along the path that runs between Fantasyland and Adventureland. Many people just walk right past it, but to me this is a great spot because it is out of the way so it's quiet compared to, say, New Orleans Square, and there are things to see here particularly now and around Christmas. Maybe this won't appeal to the older crowd or those who don't have children but it's appealing to me.

There's lots to see here.

Case in point: carved pumpkins.

Here's a typical carving. Remember, all these pictures were from Oct. 2008. And all these are actual pumpkins, not plastic pumpkins. I have proof! (I took a picture of one of the ladies who carves out the pumpkins carving out a pumpkin)

There is one very similar to this one this year (and I left all the pictures big so if you click on them, you can see them in more detail). That's Mickey and Minnie all dressed up.

Some of our friends from 100 Acre Wood:

That was Eeyore and this is the big honey-lover himself, Winnie the Pooh.

A couple of nightmarish figures. This year's display is more complete than just their goulish heads.

A seemingly random carving. Can't place this, if it indeed comes from a movie or not.

A couple of dogs here on this one from what I think is a bit of an underrated Disney movie.

Now here are a couple of friends, at least at Disneyland they are always together.

Merry Unbirthday to you. Check this one out. It's a two-parter. First, looking from behind...

And then peeking out...
Here's one of last year's movie heroes. There's a similar display this year of a movie that was a hit this year for Disney/Pixar.

And then there was this little display. So simple yet something I probably never would have thought of making. Well, I guess that goes for all of these but this one looks good.

I hope you enjoyed this little picture display. When I took the pictures, I didn't really have anything in mind in terms of displaying them or coming up with a theme. And I only went once during Halloween Time. This year, I'll make at least three trips there and probably will make four so I plan on taking a blowout amount of pictures. Also, last year I didn't go to California Adventure, and I've already gone there to their display. The Halloween ambience there wasn't as prevalent as it was at Disneyland but there is a cool Candy Corn Acres display which I'll have pictures of.

Anyway, I'll be enjoying Halloween Time at Disneyland even if the weather is in the mid- to high-90s.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

These are outstanding!

I love to carve pumpkins. Some years I'll get really creative and other years I'll keep it simple. Depends on how much time I have to devote to the task. I think my favorite part of pumpkin carving, however, is roasting the pumpkin seeds. Yum!

Angie Eats Peace said...

I hope it starts feeling more like fall soon.
Happy Birthday to the girls!

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

The random carving you couldn't place is from "A Nightmare Before Christmas", Jack and Sally. October is also a big deal for us, we LOVE Halloween, and it's also Aiven's birthday month.

thamesarino said...

both of my younger kids were born in October too!(as well as my grandma, sister, & three friends!!)and the hubby is Nov. It must be those COLD January nights- huh? ; )
great pumpkins shots!

Lissaloo said...

Happy Birthday to the Girls! October is a wonderful month :)