Sunday, September 20, 2009

Quiet Sunday

Sundays are normally set aside for Cooking With Yvie, but sadly there is no new episode today. Our beloved chef is adjusting to life as a first-grader, which means getting out of school at 2:30 pm as opposed to 11:25 am, and this week was an adjustment period.

It also was a first for me, as I volunteered for the first time in her classroom this school year. Actually, that was probably what torpedoed our hopes of this episode as I had planned to do it Friday but I was so run down after my day at school that I had to lay down for a nap. Yes, I realize how terrible that sounds, having to lay down after three hours of volunteering.

However, to be fair, the teacher had me do some actual work - take multiple workbooks out of multiple boxes and make multiple piles of said workbooks, break down the empty boxes, piece together the homework packets, a quick trip to the teacher's lounge - so I wasn't sitting around on my arse doing nothing. And I also ran four miles at the gym before going to school. Probably what did me in was not having water and/or Gatorade for myself after my run. I set myself up for failure.

Anyway, we'll be back with a new episode for next week.

But we do have an Yvie video for you today. It's quite old, from January 2006. I was talking Spanish to her because I only spoke Spanish to her for the first few years of her life. At first, she started talking in Spanish, but at around this time when her vocabulary really took off she started to talk more in English and later that year I started talking to her in mostly English, I think because she started talking to me in English and it went from there.

Anyway...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sudden nap attacks happen. I always feel fortunate if I happen to actually have the time to take one! Tell Yvie we all look forward to her next cooking segment when she feels up to it!

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

Oh, I'm sooo looking forward to being able to take a nap! I think (hope?) it will happen soon; I know it can be tiring to help at school, Aiven's school requires at least one hour per week per student.

Willoughby said...

Adorable video! I'm anxious to see what recipe Yvie will be making next week!

The last time I volunteered in my daughter's classroom the teacher had me work with the kids in groups doing math worksheets. None of them wanted to do them and by the time I went home I wanted to scream!

Naps? I love them! I tried to take one on Friday (wasn't feeling well). After about 5 minutes of laying down, my mom called, then my husband called. As soon as I layed back down my daughter needed help finding batteries for the Wii remote. I layed back down again and my son and his girlfriend came in and needed something from me. I never did get my nap!

Lissaloo said...

I have a HUGE respect for teachers, I don't know how they do it day after day, it is exhausting! :)

Angie Eats Peace said...

That is so awesome that you taught your kids Spanish when they were young. I wish my parents would have, so I wouldnt get those dirty, distasteful looks when I have to tell people I dont understand them : /