Thursday, April 30, 2009

I guess I'll go

I felt energized to finally get out to the gym on Wednesday and was happy to finally get back to running after a 10-day layoff following my half-marathon.

It's Thursday, and I'm not quite feeling the same.

Part of the problem is that I don't have a run to train for. Well, technically I do, but it's not your typical run. On June 13, I'm participating in the Camp Pendleton Mud Run, and I'll blog about that soon enough. That run is great and all, but it requires a lot more than just cardio and the ability to run a certain distance.

I haven't planned yet all the training I'll need for the Mud Run. I'll probably have a mix of cardio (running, both on the 'mill and outdoors), core and weight lifting. But that's about as far as I've gone.

Already though I'm picturing myself at the gym, sitting on the weight machine, longing for some running time on the 'mill.

I guess it's just a matter of changing my focus. I have to focus on the Mud Run, figure out what I need to do in order to best prepare myself for it, and go from there.

But I'm not quite motivated to do that today. So reluctantly I'll head out to the gym and... do something. Maybe I'll try the elliptical again. Or the stairmaster... no, actually, not that. I hate that thing. I like the elliptical so I'll probably go for that one. Maybe.

I'm transitioning into a different place now in my training routine and I'm, uh, so excited about it. Can't you tell?

3 comments:

thrasherswife said...

I wasn't too excited to go to the gym today either, but I'm finding it more appealing to run on the 'mill then outside these days. I was able to labor through a five miler at about a 10 min mile... not fast, but hey I got it done...

L.B. said...

I had a good workout. It felt good to start lifting again, and I do need to work out my muscles more often.
But I wish I would have ran a five-miler today instead!

Unknown said...

I need to incorporate weight training back into my regimen. I think that once "school" is out (end of May) I'm just going to head out 1st thing in the morning before the kids wake up. Well, that's the plan, anyway.