Friday, April 25, 2008

Daunting

I'll admit it. I'm scared.

It's not that I don't think I'll finish the five-mile run I have planned for Saturday morning. I actually plan on getting to my mom's house in one piece. But just the thought of trying to run for five miles without stopping seems very daunting to me.

Scary.

I have never run this far outside at once, so I don't know how to pace myself. I figure I'll just try to maintain a steady pace but keep some in reserve. I don't want to gas myself halfway through the run.

Luckily for us, the path isn't smooth. There is a lot of road construction near my house and how we'll be able to navigate under a freeway overpass is beyond me at this point. I think we'll just have to sprint past that part and hopefully come out unscathed on the other side.

I'm worried that I'll hit a point in the run where my mental exhaustion will overcome me. I will just have to focus and battle through it. I think I will use upcoming streets as markers.

Hopefully at some point in the future I'll be planning runs with distances in the double digits, and then I can look back at this with a different perspective. I don't know, though. Right now, it seems as if I'm climbing Mt. Everest first thing Saturday.

No comments: