Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Keep on running

At some point in the near future, I'm going to have to run outside. It's not something I'm looking forward to, as I've never really went jogging outside before. All my workouts have been mostly limited to the comforts of a gym, unless you count running around on a choppy middle school field while playing soccer as a workout. I don't; I consider it playing soccer.

Anyway, I am in fairly decent shape after all. I hadn't run regularly for months and on Tuesday I completed my second 42-minute cardio session in three days. I wasn't as wasted as I was on Sunday, but then again I didn't do any resistance training beforehand. I was drenched with sweat when I finished but I felt I could have gone on longer. Yes, the Mud Run was in the forefront of my mind during the jog. When I reached the mile mark, I told myself that at that point in the race I probably would be covered in mud and would have scaled like five walls by then or something ridiculous.

But I can't train indoors the whole time. I know that. So I've set a goal, because goals are cool when you attain them. I want to have run at least once outdoors by May 1. That gives me about two weeks to take my running from the gym to the streets, or the local high school track.

Part of me thinks that without a mirror in front of me and with nothing regulating my speed that I'll struggle. Another part of me feels that without such restrictions I will be able to run more freely and that will help boost my performance. I want to start off at the high school track because it will help me kind of keep track of my miles. At the gym, I walk for an equivalent of one lap and by the time I am finished I complete about 3.5 miles, usually a bit more. I want to try and keep doing the interval training but more than likely I will just need to complete several miles and be content with that.

I guess I shouldn't be worried too much. Whenever we play soccer, I run and run and run. I'm not very good so I try and compensate by running all over the place. And many times when others say "I'm so tired" I nod my head but I don't feel the same. I feel pretty good most of the times we play, and sometimes our games last for hours because nobody can score.

For today, I'll probably do another 42-minute cardio run. If I can get three to four of those a week, I'll be set. I've done two already and hopefully I can get two more, today and possibly Friday. Soon enough, I'll be running like crazy at the high school track, just hopefully I can get over my mental block about it.

No comments: