Thursday, December 17, 2009

Upping The Ante

Have I mentioned to you that I'm running 20 miles on Sunday?

I think I have. I'm not worrying about it or anything...

Well, not yet. Not too much anyway.

Okay, I am a little I suppose.

But I do know a good way to help take my mind off of it. I need only to think about my 26.2-mile-run on Feb. 7.

Surf City sees the 20 and raises me six point two.

How is that day going to play out? Well, that part is to be determined, although I do think about it each and every run these days. On Wednesday I ran five miles on the 'mill (and it was in the mid-70s out here... just couldn't leave Kennedy anywhere to go running though) and during that run I thought about Surf City often.

I've started doing some early scouting. So far, this is what I've found.


The dreaded course map for Surf City. It's going to be fun, I'm sure. The red spots on there are the mile markers... there sure are a lot of them. And in case you are wondering... W = water; E = Vitalyte (drink); CL = Clif/Lara bars; S = Sharkies sport chews; P = portable restrooms aka Honey Buckets.

I've been actually thinking of just going down to Huntington Beach sometime before the marathon, like in the next 2-3 weeks, to check out the scene of the race so I can visualize the day and maybe try and mentally prepare some how for it.

Anyway, just looking and thinking about this makes Sunday's 20-miler seem less daunting. So I'll stop worrying about it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

How many miles on Sunday did you say? I look forward to hearing all about it, my friend!

Kerrie said...

I think checking out the course is a great idea. I hate going into something and not knowing what to expect. I suspect most people are like that. Maybe you should scope out the start and then drive the rest of the way!

Lisa said...

You're running 20 miles this Sunday? I had no idea lol. You'll be fine, especially because you'll be with the Lopers...miles will fly by.

I agree with Kerrie about checking out the course ahead of time. Anything to help be more prepared and lessen the jitters is always good.

ChristineM said...

Stop worrying - you'll do great! Can't wait to hear about it!

Angie Eats Peace said...

You are going to do fine. I just know it.