Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mud Run playlist

Here is the playlist I will utilize during the Mud Run on June 13. It actually didn't take me too long to put this together.


It's the same playlist that I used during last year's Mud Run.

Yes, it's empty. There aren't any songs on there. Since the run is, well, muddy, and watery, wearing an iPod is out of the question.

While the hills will be tough and the mud and water will be a challenge, one of the most difficult parts of the Mud Run is the inability to listen to music during the run. The last half of the run wasn't too bad in that respect, since that's when most of the obstacles are, but the first half was dreadful. Running uphill with nothing but the sound of my shoes and my breath to accompany me.

I don't make it a habit of running without my iPod. I've never gone running without it. There have been times when it died on me or the juice runs out and I've had to suffer but I dont' recall a time other than las year's Mud Run that I did not set out on a run sans iPod.

Before the Mud Run a year ago I thought it would be a good idea to try running without the iPod. Much like running hills, I figured it would help me prepare for the conditions. But that run never happened, and it won't happen this time around either. I'll just have to go cold turkey.

I know there was a time when music during runs was not an option, and while I think I would have made a lousy runner in a previous pre-iPod life, I am grateful that such technology is available now.

Still, while this is a major downfall of the Mud Run, it doesn't detract too much from the experience. It's just something that I'll think about during the first portion of the race, the second part of the race I'll be scaling walls, trying to make my way up Slippery Hill and crossing the lovely chest-high river.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I find the MP3 distracting and use my running as time for personal prayer and meditation. Works for me!