Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Week That Was

Last week may have been one of my best-ever weeks in terms of running. It was also no coincidence that Mrs. LB did not work that week.

The week started off in Page, Ariz., as I ran my memorable six-mile run across the Glen Canyon Dam bridge. On Thursday, I ran 3.2 miles around my neighborhood while Friday was my 4-5 mile track interval run.

Sunday I ran seven miles with the Lopers and that was a great run. All told, in a span of seven days I got in four runs for a combined mileage of 21 miles or so. Great week, right?

This week, I did not run Monday nor Tuesday. My windows to run in are today and Thursday. Lamentably I won't be able to run with the Lopers on Sunday - and I really do hope that that will be the last Sunday I have to miss for a while - so Saturday I need to run as well.

The main reason why I was able to venture out so many times last week was Mrs. LB. She gets up early... we get up early... every morning. Today for instance I beat the 4:40 a.m. alarm by two minutes. She has a harsh commute and is gone by 5:30 most every morning. I feel bad for her as the commute is difficult - rare is the time she gets to or from work in under 60 minutes.

She does what she has to do for the family and we are all very appreciative of that. Which is why I don't complain much about not having the chance to run around my neighbordhood. I'd love to be able to get out at 6 a.m. and go on a run, even if it's only 2-3 miles. Especially right now, in the late summer when the temperature is nice and the sun isn't quite out yet but it's not dark at 6 a.m. That would make for some awesome runs.

But at 6 a.m. on weekdays, I'm home with the girls so running around my block is not an option. I've thought about getting up at around 4 a.m. to go on runs but that sounds about as appealing to me as having to walk barefoot over some hot charcoal. I am a morning person and all but that's overdoing it a bit.

Although, the Ragnar will force me to run even earlier than that, but that's another story...

Anyway, I took advantage of my wife's vacation last week and was able to get in three runs that I normally would not have had the chance to do. This week my windows are small and if something unexpected comes up and I have to miss my scheduled runs, I won't be able to make them up.

Still, I try to squeeze in trips to the gym when I can. Once school starts and Yvie goes off to first grade, I will be able to schedule runs because I know I will have some alone time, well, alone being just me and Kennedy. I'll be able to run at the gym more often than now and my Sunday runs are now fixtures.

I guess I long for the day when Mrs. LB works closer to home, mostly so A) she won't have to commute for long hours; B) she will be able to sleep in a little later; C) we can actually spend time together as a family in the early-morning hours and D) I can get in some 6 a.m. runs during the week.

For now, the gym will have to make do.


Lissaloo said...

That is a hard schedule to fit things around, it's hard when you have more than 1 kiddo around. Give 'em a couple years and they will be running with you :)
We rarely get mornings together as a family either, when we do they are a treasure :)

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

I still have not found a way to squeeze running back into my life *sigh* I'm hoping after this school year...

ChristineM said...

Oh, I had a commute like Mrs. LB's for about 5 years, and it certainly does take its toll on EVERYONE!

Glad you had a good week!

Angie Eats Peace said...

I hear ya! I am always a bit jealous when I see runners in the morning, on my way to work at 6 AM!

Willoughby said...

Your schedule sounds almost identical to ours. Our alarm goes off at 4:45 and my husband is out the door about an hour later. He commutes 80 miles each way to work. If we're lucky, we get a few minutes together over a cup of coffee in the morning.