Saturday, July 3, 2010

22-Mile Eve

I'm a ball of nerves.

I know I can get it done and I know the run will come and go. Hopefully.

But I am still nervous. I'm setting my alarm for 3:30 a.m. and, with any luck, will get all this done by 4:

- eat a bagel and a Clif bar
- drink about 16 oz of Gatorade
- use the bathroom (probably a few times)
- put on running undies, shorts, shirt, socks, shoes, hat, glasses
- get Garmin
- get fuel belt (and bottles w/Gatorade out of fridge)
- get five packets of GU
- put phone, headphones on sling
- stretch
- cry
- pray

I have to leave by 4 or 4:15 because of Mr. Sun. I really don't want Mr. Sun to come out and play with the children of Riverside until about 9 or so.

I'm wearing the outfit I will wear for the San Francisco Marathon, which consists of a pair of longer shorts with pockets (longer than I'm used to), the shirt I got from Ragnar last year (that says RUNNER on the back) and my LB hat. I will probably wear an undershirt at the marathon but probably won't wear it tomorrow. A wet shirt will weigh me down on Sunday but will probably be necessary for San Fran, since the weather will be much cooler up north.

My brother is on notice for Sunday morning. My plan is to call him around the time I get to Mile 14 or so, just to give him a heads up. I will probably be getting to him at around Mile 17 so that should give him plenty of time to be ready. I might want to rest there for a minute and maybe get some water or use the bathroom if I have to, I might be crying too, but I think that will give me a huge boost to see him and have him run with me. I'm kind of treating that as the first finish line. That's the end of my solo run, and then I'll just have to run five miles with my bro and I'll be done.

So yeah, I'm nervous right now. I guarantee you I won't sleep much at all, and I guarantee you that 3:30 will come much too early for me.

I'm taking the headset with me that allows me to talk while running so if any of you want to give me a ring during my run, I'd be much obliged :) I'm sure Mrs. LB will call me once or twice.

I'll update this blog when I get done and probably will write a full recap of the run for Monday, just to give you a heads up.

Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Kerrie said...

You so got this! Very smart using the phone and meeting your bro. When I did that 18-miler, I met my friend at Mile 14, and I just kept thinking -- "only 14, only 14." Then I just had a nice 4 miles with a friend and it went by in a flash.

Have fun! And just think, you'll be done early and will be able to enjoy the rest of your day. Happy Fourth!

thrasherswife said...

No luck needed - your determination always gets you through!! But I agree, 3:30 is going to come fast!!! Can't wait to read about it!

Jephy's Mom said...

I got my days mixed up and thought you were running yesterday so I'm really eager for the details today.