Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday Leftovers (July 16)

Greetings! Thanks for stopping by.

I'll get to the Leftovers in a bit, but I wanted to share something first that I thought was funny. If you're my FB friend, you may have seen this...

Blissfully unaware
For the longest time it seems, Yvie has been fascinated with words. She is constantly asking me of certain words are compound words. Like, she asked me if below is a compound word and I suppose it is, I hadn't thought of it that way. She also says things like "sandy has the word and which has the word a."

Well, on Monday I was brushing her hair out so I could tie it up in a pony so she could wear it up for karate. She was rhyming words this time. She said: "Clock and lock rhyme. Mock and clock rhyme. Cock... is cock a word?"

For one split second, a fleeting image of a rooster zipped in my mind. But I was so instantly overcome with laughter that I couldn't think of the damn word for rooster. I smiled and then burst out laughing. Yvie looked at me with a half-smile and asked "What?" a few times but I couldn't stop laughing.

Word Association

With that, let's move on to this. Remember, play along here.

1. Dickens :: Charles
2. Collection :: Stuff
3. Weekends :: Saturday
4. Travel :: Airplane
5. District :: Federal
6. Vampires :: Blood
7. Peep show :: Peeping Tom
8. Crochet :: Sew
9. Lion :: Tiger
10. Fetch :: Dog

Not really a whole lot of 'splainin here.

Five Question Friday

Another edition of Five Question Friday for my blogging and your reading pleasure. Check out Mama M.'s blog here to play along or to read along.

1. Do you collect anything?

Do race t-shirts count? I'm not much of a collector. I have a collection of things like recipes, music and race t-shirts. But as far as collecting, say, baseball cards or vintage model trains or cars or whatever, that's not me.

2. Name 3 celebrities that you find good looking.

Do I have to narrow it down to three? Guess so.

Here goes...

1. Shakira. Hot
2. Roselyn Sanchez. Smoking.
3. Sofia Vergara. Yum.


3. Do you have any scars? If so, what's the story behind it (them)?

I don't have any scars. I have emotional scars... no. I mean, well, I guess I do have some of those but that's... stuff that happened a long time ago... but it doesn't affect me now too much I suppose.

As far as physical scars, though, nope. No knife-fight-gone-bad tale on my left forearm, no wrong-place-wrong-time story on my chest, no I-didn't-see-the-tree yarn on my face. Sorry.


4. What is a food that you like to eat, but others might think it's gross or weird?

Tacos de lengua. I love tacos de lengua. If you were in Mexico with me and we were having tacos at a taco stand, street food that is so, so good, I would order you some tacos de lengua. I would let you eat a few of these tacos, so you would be able to taste some delectable tacos the likes of which you simply cannot find here in the U.S. We'd have some tacos de lengua and wash them down with a beer, perhaps a Sol cerveza.

Then, I'd tell you that tacos de lengua are cow tongue tacos.

Sooooo gooooood.

I know, I know, by the looks of it, with you tossing your beer angrily at me and storming away, you didn't enjoy them once you cound out what they were. But that's the point, no? You eat something and judge it on the flavor, the texture, the spiceness, whatever criteria you decide to use. If you can set aside your disgust for tongue, then you would see that tacos de lengua are good.

5. Have you ever seen a tornado in real life?

No. I never have. As far as midwestern states go, the only midwestern states I've visited were Kansas and Missouri. Does Texas count? Illinois? Well, I've been to those places once each (actually, Texas I've visited more than once, twice I think unless you count layovers) and none were during tornado season.

I have, however, felt earthquakes. Quite often. I felt one on Wednesday. It was small, like a 2.9 or something, but it was nearby so I felt it. The girls felt it too.

10 comments:

Raoulysgirl said...

If we ever find ourselves in Mexico at the same time, I will not go eat tacos with you...

GROSS!!!

I have never felt an earthquake...but tornadoes!!! I HATE them. We just had one that dropped from the sky less than one mile from my house. Luckily (and blessedly) it was going in the OTHER direction so we were spared damage. Did I mention that I HATE them???

Unknown said...

Hmmmm.

Tacos de lengua? I am a food adventurist but I would have to think long and hard about that one. I'd like to think I'd be brave enough to taste it.

Tornadoes? Too many to count. Earthquakes...zero.

And Yvie is just too cute for her own good!

Unknown said...

Hmmmm.

Tacos de lengua? I am a food adventurist but I would have to think long and hard about that one. I'd like to think I'd be brave enough to taste it.

Tornadoes? Too many to count. Earthquakes...zero.

And Yvie is just too cute for her own good!

MoonChylde said...

No tacos for me thanks! ;) lol

I have never felt an earthquake, but had plenty of experience w/tornados! Funny how different regions have their own natural disaster experiences to be had.

Anonymous said...

Note to self - Never eat a taco this woman orders for you, YUCK. LOL ok I will admit now I am a bit curious but if I knew what it was I'd never eat it.

Anonymous said...

Street vendor tacos in Mexico are the absolute best! Luckily, in south Texas we have places that are pretty close to being that good. I'll say no to the tongue tacos though.

Stoppin' by from Mama M's. Have a great weekend!

Whitney said...

My brother-in-law tried to get me to try his menudo. Um, no thanks. I'd have to go the same way with tongue tacos. Tongue and stomach I just can't do. Just thinking about the texture makes me want to hurl.

LeAnn said...

I have never had tacos de lengua, but Rick Balis made some on a Top Chef Masters once. They looked amazing, so I think I would give them a try.

Di said...

I'm pretty adventurous but I don't think I could bring myself to try the tongue tacos!

Rana said...

Lol about the rhyming thing. My daughter does stuff like that too.

As for the Tacos de lengua I would give them a try. I had grilled guinea pig in Ecuador and it was delicious, also tried cows hoof soup and I loved it. So I would be game for the tacos. If and when I make it to Mexico I will look you up and you will have to take my family out for Tacos de lengua. Have a great weekend!