Thursday, July 22, 2010

San Francisco Marathon: Goals

What are my goals for the San Francisco Marathon?

I can't believe it's almost race day and I haven't declared my goals. I guess part of it is that I'm not quite certain what I want my goals to be, or rather what they should be.

Of course, it's pretty standard to try and PR, right? Well, I was hesitant about declaring a PR once I had to take my break due to my heel and especially after having to lay off hills during training. I've run Mt. Rubidoux three times in the last couple of weeks and guess what's back? My heel discomfort. It was anyway, momentarily. I don't feel anything as I write this, on Wednesday evening.

So I don't exactly regret easing off the training a bit. It was either ease off or risk injury, and I did what I think was the right thing.

But has my chance of a PR gone out the window?

To be honest, I'm not sure I would have gotten a PR anyway. I mean, this is a tough course. One fellow Loper told me recently "You don't run that course and go for a PR." Another veteran Loper said San Francisco was the toughest marathon course he's ever run.

San Francisco will definitely put some hair on your chest. That goes without saying. So I'm going to PR there?

I think my goal will be simple: I want to enjoy the race. If that means a PR, awesome. If that means I don't PR, great as long as I enjoy the race and the experience.

And you know what? I'm going to enjoy it. We're spending some money to travel there for the weekend, spend a couple of nights in some overpriced hotel and the fee for the race itself. That's not even counting dinners and entertainment or whatever we decide to do up in NoCal. I'm not paying good money to dread the whole effing thing.

I'm going to San Francisco, the famed City by the Bay, and I'm going to kick some ass. Whatever my time is, I'm going to be proud of it because I'll have run my second marathon.

Besides, I'm going to PR in LA next March no matter what time I set in San Francisco. I'm going for a sub-4 marathon then. Yeah, I said it. And I'm going to do it.

But before then, I'm going to enjoy San Francisco.

And if I don't, you all have permission to smack me.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Here is my advice for having a fun race: thank the volunteers, high five kids along the way, and sing out loud to at least one stanza to one song (either from your iPod or a band along the way). A weekend in SF is always a nice time. Throw in a marathon you've been training for and you're gold!

I would suggest that you develop at least a loose race plan, however. In my second marathon, when I didn't have a plan, I felt so good at the beginning that I went out way too fast. When I hit a wall at mile 14, it sucked the fun out of it for me. I think smart pacing helps with the ability to finish strong.

Good luck and have fun!!!!

Whitney said...

If it puts hair on your chest, it should be a good thing, right?

You will have fun! And yes, I will smack you if you complain on Monday. I'll make a trip out of it and take a break in Disneyland! :)

Lisa said...

I like your attitude about this race L.B. And yes I think you did the wise thing by easing off the training to let your heel rest.

Think back to why you started running in the first place. Was it because you wanted to be a professional runner? Qualify for the Olympics? Lose weight and be healthy?

I'm pretty sure it's the third option and you've done it! But I also thik it's easy to get caught up in PR's. We can't PR in every race we run in and some races it's fun to just go out do your best and have fun and not worry about time. I think that takes the fun out of running.

You will be running over the Golden Gate Bridge and throughout SF. Enjoy the scenery, hopefully the good weather, and HAVE FUN! Who knows when you might run here again.

Running is a gift. Take it all on on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I think you're going to do great and surprise yourself. even if you dont have a set "goal" time, I think you probably have a ballpark in your mind. I have no doubt that you'll
achieve it!