Sunday, December 28, 2008

5K training possibility

My first race in 2009 will be the Ontario Mills 5K. Hopefully. I haven't signed up for it but I want to. Why the 5K? I figured it would be a good way to start off the year. It wouldn't be as challenging as a 10K but would be worth the effort nevertheless. I want to see if I can improve my 5K time from June (25:05) and see where I stand in terms of running in general.

I went to RunnersWorld.com to see about their training coach. You just toss in some numbers and it spits out a training schedule. I trust them so I will use this as a guide for my half-marathon training. What about for 5K training? Possibly.

Here's what it says I need to do for the next four weeks, starting Monday:

Weeks 1-4: Rest, 2 miles at easy pace, Rest, Speedwork total of 5 miles, Rest, Rest, 6-mile run.

The only differences between weeks is that in the third week I need to run seven miles instead of six and the fourth week is the race day on my long run day.

Is it something I can do? Yeah, of course. I will probably change the speedwork to interval training though, or maybe a tempo run.

Will I do it? I guess I have one day to decide, right?

No comments: