Friday, November 28, 2008

Infuriating morning

I skipped my workout today. I had intended to run intervals again, for the second time in three days. But it didn't happen.

It was not my fault, however. Honestly. In fact, I'd been all prepared to work out when my ability to work out was stripped from my hands.

I had called my gym in the morning to see if their day care center was open. The person said yes, so I planned my morning around that. My wife had been home in the morning but I chose instead to take the girls to the gym because they like to spend time in their day care.

When I showed up to the gym, though, I was told otherwise. The gym's day care center was closed. I was upset and walked right back out the door. A trip to the grocery store adjacent to the gym did not soothe my intensifying anger so I went back to the gym to talk to a manager. I was very upset at this point and worried that I would start to yell. I didn't, though. I kept my cool and told him the story and he sympathized with me. He tried to make it up by giving me a free month's worth of their membership, and while that was nice and appreciated it didn't take away from the fact that I missed my workout.

Missing workouts because of your own doing, whether it's because you were negligent or something came up or whatever, is one thing. But when you plan to work out, get up the energy to go to the gym (and truth be told I didn't exactly feel like running four miles but dammit that's what I was going to do) and psyche yourself up to get on the treadmill/elliptical/bike/whatever and then all of the sudden you are told no, you can't, thank you very much... well, that's very upsetting. That's why I was so irritated, because I had that stripped from me.

I went home, stewed a little longer and now I think I've expelled the negative feelings out through my fingers and into this post.

On Saturday I'll have to get up early and go on a run. I will run here outside unless it's raining. If that happens, it'll be back to the gym this time without girls in tow. And if they tell me for the second consecutive day that I can't work out, oh boy, will there be hell to pay.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At least you got a FREE month's membership!!! It sometimes pays to be the squeeky wheel. That would frustrate me, too, Luis.