Alright, earlier I'd written about the saltiest foods in America, according to Men's Health magazine. The list was pretty shocking as it finished off with two dishes of more than 4,000 mg sodium apiece, and that list was only from 20-11.
So here's the last part of the list. If you are a fan of Romano's Macaroni Grill and want to live in ignorant bliss, feel free to skip this part. After all, they take up three of the top 10 spots.
10. Saltiest Bread - Dunkin' Donuts Salt Bagel: 4,520 mg sodium, 320 calories
9. Saltiest Sandwich - Quiznos Turkey Bacon Guacamole Large Sub with Cheese and Reduced-fat Ranch Dressing: 4,670 mg sodium, 1,120 calories
8. Saltiest Pizza - Pizza Hut Meat Lover's Stuffed Crust Pizza (3 slices of the 14" large): 5,070 mg sodium1,560 calories
7. Saltiest Comfort Food - Denny's Meatloaf Dinner (w/mashed potatoes and corn): 5,080 mg sodium, 1,210 calories
6. Saltiest Salad - Romano's Macaroni Grill: 5,460 mg sodium, 840 calories
5. Saltiest Mexican Entree - Chili's Buffalo Chicken Fajitas: 5,690 mg sodium, 1,730 calories
4. Saltiest Kids' Entree - Cosi Kid's Pepperoni Pizza: 6,405 mg sodium, 1,901 calories
3. Saltiest Seafood Entree - Romano's Macaroni Grill Grilled Teriyaki Salmon: 6,590 mg sodium, 1,230 calories
2. Saltiest Appetizer - Papa John's Cheesesticks w/Buffalo Sauce: 6,700 mg sodium, 2,605 calories
1. Saltiest Dish in America - Romano's Macaroni Grill Chicken Portabello: 7,300 mg sodium, 1,020 calories
Well, there you go. The top 10 saltiest foods in America. It's actually pretty scary that so many dishes have more than double the amount of sodium you should consume in one day.
The calories for some of the dishes aren't that high but caloric value alone shouldn't determine the overall nutritional value of a dish. For instance, the salad at number six is a fair amount of calories - about half or so of what I try and eat per day. But even if I rearranged the rest of my meals that day in order to accommodate that, there is no amount of accommodation you could make to be able to consume more than 5,000 mg sodium per day.
If nothing else, be forewarned that salty dishes are plentiful in restaurants across the land. Particularly at Romano's Macaroni Grill.