Sunday, January 11, 2009

Savory Sundays: Hearty Grain Quick Loaf

This was a first for me. I've made quick breads many times before but they've always been sweet. This one was a quick bread that yielded a sandwich-type bread, which was the reason why it appealed to me.

Here are the ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups 2 percent milk
3 tablespoons oil
1 egg
1-2 tablespoons quick cooking rolled oats


Now, I don't have whole wheat flour so I had to use 3 cups of all-purpose flour and I'm wondering if that made a big difference or not. Anyway, here's the ingredients all mixed together. It says you have to stir until moistened, so I think that qualifies.


Then, spread the dough in a greased 8-inch round cake pan. Again, I had to use a 9-inch cake pan since that's what I had.


Into a preheated 350-degree oven it goes and out comes a loaf. It doesn't look like the picture in the cookbook but it looks nice nonetheless.


The recipe suggests you serve it warm but I had to play taxi for an hour after this was made so I didn't eat it warm. I did take it out of the pan, though, and onto a cooling rack.


Once back home, I cut myself a pair of slices and made some a mini-pepperoni pizza grinder... sandwich... whatever. I baked it for about five minutes so the bread was warm but not quite sturdy. Still, it tasted good.


I also made myself this sandwich the following day, just put some deli meat with some provolone cheese and baby spinach. I also threw on some cilantro and jalapenos for some flavor.


The cookbook says this has 150 calories per slice but it was hard to determine how big a slice was so I just cut it up in fourths and approximated the calories. Although the bread was a bit crumbly, I think that's because I didn't use whole wheat flour. I'll make it properly the next time, and there will be a next time for this recipe.

6 comments:

Lissaloo said...

yum, that looks really good! I think I will give it a try today even, thanks for the recipe!

ChristineM said...

This sounds great! Especially for someone like me who is yeastophobic! Can't wait to try it!

Unknown said...

Christine...have you tried the Beer Bread 1 yet from All Recipes? It's a very good, yeastless bread.

ChristineM said...

Now that you mention it 5th, I have that one buried in my recipe box on AR!! I'll have to give that one a try! The Colonial Brown Bread was pretty good, too!

Daniel T said...

We made the bread tonight...fantastic. Great post!

L.B. said...

Thanks! Glad it worked out for you!