Sunday, January 18, 2009

Savory Sundays: Loadin' up on veggies

This is the Fruit and Veggie Challenge in action. I got this recipe from an e-mail I received from Everyday Food Radio upon signing up for their challenge. It's Asian Chicken and Cabbage Salad.

Here are the ingredients written out:
3/4 cup coarsely chopped scallions, (about 6)
3/4 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 small red cabbage, halved, cored, and shredded (8 cups)
2 cups shredded or coarsely grated carrots, (about 4 medium)
12 ounces poached chicken breast or skinless rotisserie chicken meat, shredded (3 1/2 cups)

And here they are in picture form:

I didn't have any rotisserie chicken so I poached some, threw in some onion, garlic and ginger while poaching. Anyway, here are the first six ingredients in the food processor.

Now, I think I may have said I get flustered when I'm trying something new? I think I said that here. Anyway, I was getting a bit flustered and forgot to take a picture of what it looked like after it had taken a spin on the food processor. But imagine a chunky green sauce and that's what it looks like. I got a picture of the cabbage, carrots and chicken though:


Now, just mix the dressing in with the above and you get:


Nice looking salad. But what does it taste like? You might not want to ask a five-year-old for their opinion on it though.


I saw my blog buddy Lissaloo do this on her blog a week ago or so, and I just couldn't resist doing the same. My younger girl usually has daddy's back but...


Not that day. Oh well. I thought it turned out well. At the very least, I went way over the recommended five servings of fruits/veggies that day.

1 comment:

Lissaloo said...

Lol, They are so cute :) I think the salad looks great, the dressing part especially. Salad is one thing my kids still feel tortured about eating, I just pretend I can't hear them ;)