Saturday, January 17, 2009

Settling in

Following the New Year, I told myself that I would start running even on days I had to ref soccer games. I did so Jan. 2 and it worked out well and have been slowly trying to get into a rhythm when it comes to runs. After all, I will have to start training for my half-marathon soon.

So far, the results have been well. I initially feared that running would slow me down during games and cause havoc on my legs but so far that hasn't been the case. I felt great again during my game on Friday, which started about six hours after I was done with my grueling interval run.

I'm planning on another run, probably more intervals, on Tuesday and have a game scheduled there, and I foresee more distance runs after that - and I have games scheduled for Tuesday through Friday of next week.

I think at some point in the next week or so I will start to consider just how I want to approach my half-marathon training. A 12-week training schedule seems ideal to me but I want to take in all sorts of different ideas and opinions before deciding on something. There's a book I've been eyeing at Borders that I may splurge and buy, and that would help me train for the half-marathon as well as running in general.

Whatever the case, I feel as comfortable now as I did when I was training for the Mud Run. And that alone is a great feeling.

No comments: