Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lightweight

One of the side effects of having lost more than 120 pounds is my drinking ability. I used to be able to knock back six or eight beers and not feel a whole lot. Nowadays, I'm an embarrassment to my former drinking self (although my former drinking self was an embarrassment to my current running self).

I had a beer yesterday before dinner. I felt it. Right away, actually. One beer.

Now, yesterday was a light-eating day for me. For breakfast I had an energy bar. I went to the gym and ran for 40 minutes, biked another 15 and had an orange afterward. Lunch was a meatball sub and some pineapple. PM snack was an orange, and I was doing well while cooking the Steak Fajitas we had for dinner (look out for that next Sunday!) I did well to avoid nibbling at stuff, mostly the cheese I was grating.

Then my wife showed up with a six-pack of beer. So I cracked one open. I wasn't halfway through when I felt it. There wasn't much in my stomach to soak it up apparently and my overall tolerance is a lot lower now than before so alcohol hits me a lot harder these days.

I didn't recover. I wasn't like stammering around or anything but I was especially tired after dinner and called it a night somewhat early.

But hey, don't let that stop you from inviting me for a round of beers. If I know I'm going to drink, I'd probably eat a little more beforehand to ensure that my stomach can absorb the alcohol, since my lightweight self can't do the job on its own.

2 comments:

Willoughby said...

How about mixed drinks? You can come on over to my blog for a "virtual" mixed berry margarita! I only drink them for the health benefits of the berries, of course!

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

LOL, I'm sure you wouldn't trade your "light" drinking self for those 120 pounds, though, am I right? It's a small price to pay; besides, alcohol is expensive!