Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The sleep study

I'll have to await the doctor's determination about the final results but preliminary feedback indicated both positives and negatives from the sleep study.

Long story short, my OSA (obstructive sleep apnea) has been substantially reduced by my weight loss. The technician told me that, even at my worst, on my back and in deep REM sleep, I was barely registering much of anything. Initially when I fell asleep, I showed some signs of the OSA but with or without my CPAP I wasn't showing much.

This is good news. I was worried that it would have gotten worse or changed somehow for the worse since my weight loss, since I haven't done well to wear it regularly in the last 8-12 months. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Instead, my weight loss has positively affected the OSA.

Still, for me it leaves me a bit of a question - if my OSA is not as bad as it was, why am I so tired lately? I didnt' wear my CPAP on Sunday night, forgot to put it on, and on Monday afternoon I had to lie down for a nap. It was only a 20-minute nap but I desperately needed to lie down. I guess that's a question for my pulmonologist.

The tech, however, said my CPAP was probably too high. It's at a setting of a 10 and it ranges from 4-6 all the way up to 20, for the severe cases. So, the higher the number the more pressure is going into keeping your airwaves opened to allow you to breath normally during the night. Apparently since my OSA is not as bad as it has been, I don't need the extra pressure. Maybe that's it. And maybe it's just something with my irregularity. Sometimes I go to bed at 9-10, while other times I'm burning the midnight oil. I rarely get more than seven hours of sleep, and am usually sporadic in what time I hit the sack and what time I wake up. That might be part of the problem.

Anyway, the sleep study itself was interesting. I was all wired up as the instruments recorded everything in my body, from heart rate, sleep level, movements, sounds, vibrations, pretty much everything coming from my body.

And it also made me look hot.

In the words of the immortal Human League, "Don't you want me baby?"

No. Oh. Don't blame ya.

I actually sent this picture to my wife. She confirmed that I looked hot.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

All in all very good news!

Unknown said...

Oh, I meant to ask, have you ever been tested for allergies? I know, especially at this time of year (when the pollen is the heaviest) I feel the same way.

L.B. said...

No, I haven't, and my wife insists that I should. I probably should listen to her.

Raoulysgirl said...

That's kinda scary lookin'...I ain't gonna lie. However, glad your OSA is better. Get tested for allergies...and make a sleep schedule! I'm a horrible insomniac (maybe if I stopped blogging?) but I know that scheduled bedtimes are suggested for a rested body!!!

Lissaloo said...

That is great that it made that much of a difference :) Hopefully they can figure out what's making you tired, that's no fun- especially when you have to be chasing kids, lol :)

Willoughby said...

This may sound like a crazy idea, but are comfortable while you're sleeping? My husband and I just got a memory foam mattress topper for our bed and I can't believe how much better I've been sleeping and how much more energy I have. We got it to help with back pain, but we're both getting a much better sleep. Just a thought!

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

That pic reminded me of Hannibal Lechter- "I ate his liver with fava beans and a nice chianti."

And about still being tired, have you ever had your thyroid tested? I have hypothyroidism, and before I was tested and diagnosed, one if my major pain-in-the-a$$ symptoms was constant sleepiness.