Thursday, March 26, 2009

Savory Sundays: Raspberry Crumb Cake

Alright, five days late and about $3.50 short but...

I wanted to get you the second installment of last Sunday's Savory Sundays post. I have some dishes coming up for this Sunday ready to go, so I figured I'd go ahead and use this one. This is one of my most favorite things that I've made, probably one of the dishes I'm most proud of that I can make. Not sure why, probably because it's complicated (to me, anyway) and the flavors. My wife loves this dish, and she's not the biggest raspberry fan either.

It's a recipe for Raspberry Crumb Cake I got from AllRecipes.com. Funny thing is that it hardly has any reviews, which leads me to believe that hardly anyone has tried this, relatively speaking.

Ingredients:
FILLING:
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup water
2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice

CRUST:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1 cup cold butter or margarine
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

TOPPING:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cold butter or margarine
1/4 cup sliced almonds

It's a three-step process, so there are three lists there. Disclaimer: I actually made this a while back, in December, but took pictures of everything but the final product. I have a picture of the cake when it's done but not an up close pose, and in fact the quality is kinda crappy. Still, the best thing about this to me was the complexity of the dish (again, complex to me) and that I was able to figure it out.

First, heat the raspberries in a saucepan.

Be very careful when doing this. They will burn in a matter of seconds!

Okay, bear with me here. You need to mix the crust mixture together, the first six ingredients anyway, then the rest. You only need to use about two-thirds of it before spreading the raspberry filling in the middle.

Then, cover with the rest of the crust mixture before adding the topping.
Pop it in the oven for 50-55 minutes and you will have a delicious cake. And make sure you take a good picture if that's the case. Here's a link to my picture of this dish from the first time I made it, way back in late '07.

1 comment:

Lissaloo said...

This sounds wonderful, I love raspberries! :)