Sunday, March 8, 2009

Savory Sundays: Steak Fajitas

Welcome to another Savory Sunday! I made some pretty tasty dishes this week and am anxious to share them with you.

First up, steak fajitas. Yum! I had bought some red bell peppers at the store recently and was wondering how to use them up. I actually made another dinner with them and then didn't want them to go to waste. I figured, why not make some steak fajitas? We hadn't had them in a long time, so I went out and got some meat and some different types of peppers to balance the red bells.

First up, I bought a pound of, uh, well, in Spanish it's carne para asar but I believe it's something like sirloin tip or something in English. So, carne para asar for me!


I slice it up nice and thin. Well, it always seems thin when I slice it but when it cooks for some reason the pieces seem thicker than I had cut them. Maybe it's the way the meat cooks. To marinate it, I use this

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
dash hot sauce
salt and pepper, to taste

Now, I put that in a resealable plastic bag and throw the meat inside. To save time and energy, I put the bag inside a big glass like so:
That helps save some frustration as well. Then, I make sure the marinade gets on as much of the meat as possible, get as much of the air out as I can, and put in nice and cozy in a bowl inside the refrigerator for at least an hour.

That gives you plenty of time to slice up the veggies. Here are, from top to bottom, a Poblano pepper, two Red Bell peppers, one Green chili and an onion.

When it's time to cook, heat the meat up over medium-high heat. You don't really need more oil since the meat has some but a splash won't hurt.

When the meat has cooked for a bit, toss in the veggies. I like to let them sit in there until they are tender. The thicker you leave the peppers, though, the longer that takes so you may want to slice them thinner than I did.

This probably took me 15-20 minutes to cook but I left it on the heat a while to get the peppers and onions nice and tender. Serve with some warm tortillas, perhaps a side of rice, some Pico de Gallo and maybe even a nice cold one.

This made for quite a feast. And we weren't disappointed!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You forgot: and serve it up with a nice cold Corona! Dinner looks amazing! And the best part, besides the dinner, was the tip about putting the baggie in a large cup! I will definitely be doing that the next time I marinate. Thanks!

Willoughby said...

I agree with 5th, the tip about using the cup is great! I'm always calling for someone to hold the bag open while I put the meat inside. Looks delicious, Luis!