Sunday, March 15, 2009

Savory Sundays: Latin Burgers

Welcome to another Savory Sunday. I have a pair of my favorite dishes coming up today, at least ones that are favorites because they always draw some strong complements.

First up are some Latin Burgers with Caramelized Onions. It's a recipe from Ingrid Hoffmann, and I have to say that makes it a bit extra special. I'll explain later; for now here's what you need:

1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound chorizo
1 onion, grated
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon Adobo seasoning

A partial lineup

Now, the Caramelized Onions come later, so hold on for that crucial step. First, though, you must mix all the ingredients together. Grating the onion is tough since it always causes my eyes to drip like a faucet.

Mix with your hands until well combined but don't over-mix.
Now, shape into patties. Keep in mind, the original recipe calls for one pound of beef and 1/2 pound chorizo, so two parts beef, one part chorizo. It is supposed to make six large patties. Instead of making regular-size burgers, though, we opted to make them small. Why? Ingrid said so.
I'll get back to that in a sec. For now, here is the Caramelized Onion part. You need one large onion (or two smaller ones) sliced, olive oil, half-cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup sliced jalapenos.

Heat the oil and onions in a saucepan and add the sugar and jalapenos.

About 15 minutes later or so, the onions are nice and caramelized. They are perfect.


Now, why did we make them mini burgers? I actually had the chance to meet Ingrid Hoffmann in person. I talked to her and told her I was a big fan. She didn't believe me (that's the vibe I got from her, well, it was either that or a damn-this-guy-is-hot vibe but I could be wrong) until I told her I made this recipe. She got very excited. I told her the caramelized onions were awesome! Then, she believed me. She suggested making mini-burgers out of them, so I did and they turned out well. This week was the second time we've made the small and they came out very good.


The original recipe also calls for a Red Pepper Mayo, which is basically roasted red peppers blended together wtih mayonaisse. I made that once too as well and it was great, but we can get by with the burgers and the caramelized onions on top. The first time I made these my wife said they were restaurant-quality burgers, which I took as a complement.

These is easily our favorite burger recipe and one of our top recipes in general, thanks to Ingrid!

2 comments:

Raoulysgirl said...

My hubby would FLIP if I made these! Thanks for the post...I'm going to put them in my "to try" file!!!

Willoughby said...

The burgers look awesome! I love the idea of making them "mini". Why is it that small food just seems so much more fun to eat?