Sunday, March 22, 2009

Savory Sundays: Nachos

Welcome to another Savory Sunday. I have two things today. Up first is something that isn't really here for the recipe per se as it is for the technique. Now, don't get me wrong, I do have a bit of a Nacho recipe but I didn't have the ingredients for it so I just did it this way. But that's what is so great about this, is that you can make it to suit your needs.

What you need:
tortilla chips
grated cheese
cooked ground beef/chicken

Roll call:

Of course, I normally re-heat the beef on a skillet with some salsa and toss in some garlic or onions or peppers or tomatoes or cilantro or whatever I've got but I didn't have salsa. I just re-heated the beef in the microwave. It should be hot or at least warm and definitely cooked all the way through before you even start, so this is great with leftover beef. In particular, the leftover Rhode Island Hot Weiners. That is fantastic, and in fact it's the beef pictured here.

I used Colby Jack cheese, just tried some for the first time and it was pretty good. Arrange some chips on an oven-safe plate and layer the beef and cheese and if you want you can layer more chips on top of that and repeat the process.

I hate nachos that are one big layer of cheese on top and nothing but plain chips underneath, so layering them works. Then, put the plate (you can also use a cookie sheet, but you pretty much have to eat them right off the sheet that way) into a preheated 350-degree oven for about 10 minutes.
Serve with a side of paper clips... sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, there is something about warmed tortilla chips and warm melted cheese... yum. At this point, you can toss on some chopped green onions (the green parts) if you like. My wife doused hers with salsa (the mild kind, she keeps it around the house, I don't touch it) but I just had my serving like this.

I do reserve the right to publish another Nachos post if and when I make them the proper way, so you may see that in the future. This is one of our quick-and-easy dinners after all, so we make it somewhat often.

4 comments:

Lissaloo said...

Yum, I have been in the mood for Nachos lately :)

Willoughby said...

I love the layering idea! Why didn't I think of that? I hate the "naked" chip layer, too.

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

Mmmmm, cheese and tortilla chips, does it get any better?

Crystal said...

MMMM looks good. U should try my bbq nacho recipe. I love nachos anyways they are served!!